These rules establish the requirements for veterans, spouses or dependents to receive benefits from the veteran trust fund.
Definition. For purpose of this chapter, “veteran” means the same as defined in Iowa Code section 35.1 or resident of Iowa who served honorably in the armed forces of the United States, completing a minimum of 90 days of active duty, other than training.
Income. Shall not exceed 300% of poverty guidelines.
The application process starts at your local VA office.
Benefits Available to veterans and spouses:
- Travel – For wounded veterans directly related to follow-up medical care.
- Unemployment Assistance – Due to prolonged physical, mental condition or disability causing their unemployment. $3,000 in a twelve month period, with a lifetime maximum of $6,000.
- Job Training or Education Assistance – Lifetime maximum of $5,000.
- Individual or Family Counseling – Up to $5,000 in a twelve month period.
- Dental – Up to $10,000 lifetime maximum.
- Audiology – Up to $1,500.00 per ear in a twelve month period.
- Emergency Housing Repairs – Up to $10,000 lifetime maximum.
- Emergency Vehicle Repairs – Up to $10,000 lifetime maximum not exceeding the value of the vehicle.
- Emergency Vehicle Purchase – Up to $5,000 ONE TIME use.
- Emergency Room – Lifetime maximum of $7,500.
- Durable Medical Equipment – $5,000 in a twelve-month period. Lifetime maximum benefit $10,000.
Applications are reviewed once a month by the Iowa Commission of Veterans Affairs. A decision is made at the time of review. Applicants are notified via letter of the decision with instructions on how to proceed. To get started on your application, please contact your local VA county office.